Winthrop University: McNair Scholars



McNair Scholars

The Winthrop McNair Advisory Board has unanimously voted to offer a second call for applications, specifically for outstanding first generation undergraduates who come from low-income families. The Board wants to offer the McNair opportunity to as many students as possible and we believe we can effectively serve up to two more students. U.S. Department of Education requirements regarding the makeup of each cohort specify that at least two-thirds of each served cohort must meet the first gen and income criteria, so we are focusing on this criterion in this call. 

Deadline for all materials: March 6, 2020.

Information about applying to the program is available here. Eligible sophomores and juniors at Winthrop and other SC universities are encouraged to apply next fall. In addition to Winthrop students, our program has served students at Clemson, College of Charleston, Columbia College, Limestone, and Wofford. 


About the Program

The Winthrop McNair Scholars Program prepares first generation, low-income, and underrepresented undergraduates to be successful in PhD programs by providing research, extensive support, and transformational opportunities throughout the junior and senior years. Winthrop's program includes, but is not limited to, a paid summer research experience, faculty mentoring, workshops, GRE and graduate school application preparation, and travel to present research and explore graduate programs

Winthrop's program is funded by a five-year renewable TRiO grant from the U.S. Department of Education. $253,032 in federal funding is provided each year for programming and materials that will help 30 eligible students prepare for graduate study. This represents 73% of program costs. Winthrop contributes the remaining 27% of the budget with approximately $95,000 in cash and in-kind matches.

To learn more about the impact of Winthrop's Ronald E. McNair Postbaccalaureate Achievement Program, check out our program flyer or this 2017 article in the Winthrop Magazine

For a fun look at what our Scholars and Alumni are doing, visit our newsletters

To learn about our Scholars' award winning research,, visit our summer research page, see Scholar Monejah Black's story, or check out


Useful Links 


Winthrop McNair Digital Commons

Dr. Ronald E. McNair Biography

Other sources of information about Dr. McNair include: His life story throught Story Corps (Eyes on the Stars), Remebering the Challenger Disaster (, and his academic accomplishments (  

Winthrop McNair GEPA Statement on Equitable Access

Winthrop McNair Graduate Assistantship (Position filled until 2021-22)

Winthrop McNair Graduate Scholarship


Last Updated: 2/11/20