Winthrop's first science building, Tillman Science Building, which stood in what
is now the grassy area between Bancroft and Kinard prior to the building's
demolition in 1962. It is named for Winthrop's fourth president, Henry Radcliff Sims, who served from
1944-59. With its massive Ionic stone columns and large entrance portico, Sims
is typical of the modern adaptation of Neo-Georgian architecture. A $7.5 million
renovation was completed in 2002.