Connected to Johnson and Rutledge by covered passageways, Roddey Hall was originally a residence hall named West Hall. The building was renamed in 1926 to honor William Joseph Roddey, Board of Trustee member who served from 1893-45. The Rock Hill industrialist played a prominent role in bringing Winthrop to Rock Hill. Roddey was the first Winthrop facility built in the Neo-Georgian style, setting an architectural trend in campus buildings that would last for more than 45 years. Interior space was converted to efficiency apartments in 1975 and renovated in 1989 to house primarily married couples, single parents, graduate and international students. In fall 2010, the apartments were converted to house two or four students depending on room size.