Winthrop's 10 presidents has lived in the President's House. Originally built
by Captain W.H. Stewart, the home was offered as a president's home as part of
Rock Hill's winning bid to move Winthrop here in 1893. Stewart then built as his
second home, the white-columned house which now serves as offices for the Center
for Educator Recruitment, Retention and Advancement. First fashioned in the
Queen Anne Victorian style, the house underwent a major renovation in 1917 when
balconies, turrets, and other Victorian features were removed. The house itself
was moved back from the street about 50 feet, and brick veneer was added.